I'm actually going to attempt to put soil directly into the glass bit unlike the photo above but you get the idea. So here's what my glass bit looks like:
I gutted out all the bulbs and other dangle bits and disassembled the top portion while watching the show Dance Moms so that should tell you about how much focus you'd need for a project like this. And as far as tools go, I only needed a wrench or actually I should say I only used a wrench because, well, that's all I really had that could aid in this situation.
So this is going to be the trickiest part of this whole project. Originally, when I bought this sucker I thought I'd just flip the whole thing over and have the bottom be the top but then I realized the door doesn't exactly allow for that. So either I seal shut the nifty little door or I configure some sort of bottom part. It would be just silly not to make the door functional so I'm attempting to figure out a bottom solution. I suppose if all else fails I can just put a potted plant into it like in the inspiration photo.
More steps to come just as soon as they happen.